International FAQ

International Tax and Business

1. I’m a U.S. citizen living and working outside of the United States, do I still need to file a tax return?

Yes, U.S. citizens are always required to file a U.S. income tax while living and working outside the United States.

2. I pay income tax in a foreign country. Do I still have to file a U.S. income tax return even though I do not live in the United States?

You have to file a U.S. income tax return while working and living abroad unless you abandon your green card holder status or you renounce your U.S. citizenship.

3. What is the due date of a U.S. income tax return?

The due date for filing a federal individual income tax return generally is April 15 of each year if your tax year ends December 31st. However, If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien who is living outside the United States on the due date of your return, you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension until June 15 to file your tax return and pay any tax due.

4. I just realized that I must file U.S. income tax returns and for prior years. How many years back do I have to file?

Taxpayers who failed to file required U.S. tax returns and foreign information reports should contact a CPA and qualified attorney for proper counseling on disclosure procedures. Penalties for failure to file can amount to $10,000 per year/per form for failure to disclose foreign transactions and assets.  However, taxpayers that failed to file U.S. tax return with no foreign information reporting requirement will typically be required to file 6 years of past tax returns to come into compliance.  Penalties will be based on the amount of tax owed on prior year delinquent filings.

international tax services

1. I am a resident alien in the United States with income from the Netherlands, do I have to file a Netherlands tax return?

Filing a Netherlands tax return depends on the type of income you receive and if you are covered under certain treaty benefits. Generally, income earned in the Netherlands is subject to Netherlands taxation.

2. I am considering moving to the United States from the Netherlands, do I need to let the authorities know I am moving?

  1. In the United States, you would be required to determine whether you will be permanently or temporarily immigrating to the U.S.
    • For information on temporarily visiting or living in the United States click here.
    • For information on permanently immigrating to the United States click here.
  2. Leaving the Netherlands will require notification to the tax authority and possibly a tax assessment at the moment of departure. Individuals looking to emigrate from the Netherlands should contact the Netherlands authority here.

How Am I Taxed If I Am A US Citizen Working Abroad?

How does the U.S. tax expatriate retirees?

Should you hire a U.S. based executive to penetrate the U.S. marketplace?

What is the difference between a non-resident alien and resident alien for U.S. tax reporting?

What are the penalties for not declaring my foreign assets to the U.S.?

International Structuring - What are the benefits to setting up a foreign subsidiary?

International Structuring - What tax breaks are available to U.S. exporters?

What are the risks and rewards for having a transfer pricing strategy?

What is a tax treaty?

I just moved from the Netherlands - how do I avoid double taxation on my income?

What are IFRS financial statements and is my company required to issue them?

How does the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act affect my international business?

How do I pay my United States employees?

How do I start a business in the United States?

How can I cut costs in my production cycle through a product sourcing analysis?

What is transfer pricing and why does it apply to your international business?

Does it make sense to manufacture my product overseas?