What Should You Do When Your Cemetery Runs Out of Space?
Most cemeteries do not have infinite land available, which means that they will eventually need to troubleshoot as plots run out. If your cemetery runs out of space, especially if you are landlocked, there can be major problems in sustaining your business and having the income to maintain the plots that you already have. How can you start to adapt your business to declining space?
Mausoleums are a versatile solution when a cemetery runs out of space. They are an above-ground option that can be expanded more than below-ground option, and they are also a much more efficient use of space. The most common types of mausoleums include:
• Garden mausoleums, which are fully outdoors and often incorporate plantings to make them more beautiful
• Public mausoleums, which are typically open and more affordable than private mausoleums and can incorporate vases or name plaques to still allow for personalization
• Family mausoleums, which can be sold to specific families and used as a resting place for multiple family members
Showcase Other Options
As a cemetery runs out of space, you can also explore alternative choices that are already organically growing in popularity.
• Aquamation: Instead of cremation, aqua cremation is becoming more popular. Instead of using fire, they use a combination of water and potassium hydroxide. Because it uses less energy than cremation and the water can be reused, it’s an appealing alternative for people who want an eco-friendly alternative. At the end of the process, the bones can be cremated and turned to ash.
• Biodegradable Urns: Traditional cremated remains are placed into an urn where they are buried or stored. Biodegradable urns are an environmentally friendly choice, as these urns can be planted at the base of a tree or with a plant as a lasting memory of a loved one after they are gone. These urns can be given to the family or used to plant trees on the cemetery property.
• Human Composting: Human composting is being legalized throughout the country now, and as it becomes more popular, it can be a helpful service when a cemetery runs out of space.
Financial Planning for Every Death Care Services Industry Business from MKS&H
MKS&H provides tax and accounting services to businesses of every size and in every industry, including the death care industry. Our team can help your business gain confidence in your important accounting reports and make better, more educated financial decisions. Contact us today for a consultation.
About MKS&H: McLean, Koehler, Sparks & Hammond (MKS&H) is a professional service firm with offices in Hunt Valley and Frederick. MKS&H helps owners and organizational leaders become more successful by putting complex financial data into truly meaningful context. But deeper than dollars and data, our focus is on developing an understanding of you, your culture and your business goals. This approach enables our clients to achieve their greatest potential.
Like what you read? Sign-up for our C-Suite Spotlight Program.